*Safety-Security Film is NOT bulletproof or bullet resistant!*
*There is NO GUARANTEED TIME to stop forced entry with Safety-Security Films!*
In todays world safety and security are the biggest concerns when it comes to our schools and children. Public and private schools face unique challenges when it comes to ensuring the safety of students and faculty. One effective and often overlooked solution is the application of security films or security glass on school windows. Here, Tennessee Film Solutions will explore the world of security films and how schools, particularly grant recipients, can leverage this technology to create safer learning environments.
The Importance of School Security
Safety in schools is a top priority for parents, teachers, and policymakers. The unfortunate reality is that schools are not immune to various threats, including shooters, natural disasters and more. As a response to these threats, the U.S. government has allocated significant funding in 2023. According to TN.gov, nearly $200 million in school safety grants is being made available, with up to $40,000,000 available for public schools and $14,000,000 for non-public schools. These grants present an excellent opportunity for schools to enhance their security. The Justice Grants website provides details about available grants and how to navigate the application process. Schools can find all the necessary guidelines and procedures to secure funding for the installation of security film.
Understanding The Safe Schools Act
It is very important to have a clear understanding of the Safe Schools Act. The Tennessee Department of Education outlines the importance of this act in creating a safe and secure school environment for students. The act aims to prevent, mitigate, and respond to security threats, encompassing areas such as physical security measures, mental health support and emergency response procedures. This is why security film or security glass plays a pivotal role in school security.
Understanding Security Glass
Security films are a type of window film designed to reinforce glass. These films make the windows stronger against impacts, shattering and other outside threats. Safety films are almost always applied to the interior side of the glass surface by means of an aggressive adhesive coating. A thin protective “release” liner that is removed before the film is installed on the window protects the adhesive coating. Safety Films use a Pressure Sensitive (PS) acrylic adhesive systemto bond the film to the glass. A scratch resistant protective coating is usually applied to the film’s exposed room side surface. When applied to windows or glass surfaces, they provide a ton of benefits that are particularly relevant in the context of school safety:
- Enhanced Strength: Security films strengthen the structural integrity of glass. These films can significantly delay and deter potential threats, providing enough time for emergency personnel to arrive.
- Shatter Resistance: When subjected to an impact, the films hold glass together, preventing it from shattering into dangerous shards. This reduces the risk of injury in the event of an explosion, shooting or other emergencies.
- UV Protection: Many security films offer UV protection as well as safety. They safeguard students and faculty from harmful UV rays. They also help protect interior furnishings from fading due to sun exposure.
- Glare Reduction: By reducing glare and controlling natural light, security films create a more comfortable and productive learning environment.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to other security measures, such as reinforced glass or bulletproof windows, security window tints are cost-effective and offer a quick and relatively non-disruptive installation process.
Application Of Security Film In Schools
Schools that have received the 2023 security grants should consider implementing security films as a part of their safety enhancement plan. Here’s a useful guide on how to apply security film effectively:
- Assess The School’s Needs: Before proceeding with the installation of these films, it’s crucial to conduct a comprehensive security assessment. This evaluation should identify vulnerable areas and prioritize the application of security films where they will have the most significant impact.
- Allocating Funds: Allocate a portion of your grant funding to the purchase and installation of security films. The cost will vary depending on the size and number of windows that need protection.
- Select a Vendor: Choosing a trustworthy vendor is important. Work with a security film installation company that has experience like Tennessee Film Solutions.
- Customization: Work with Tennessee Film Solutions to select security films that meet your specific needs. This may include features such as shatter resistance, UV protection and glare reduction.
- Installation: The installation process should be done by professionals like Tennessee Film Solutions. Security films are applied directly to the interior of existing windows, ensuring a neat and unobtrusive appearance.
- Training & Maintenance: Ensure that school staff are trained on the maintenance and care of security films. They are generally low-maintenance but may require occasional cleaning to work effectively.
Long-Term Benefits Of Security Films
The application of security films in both public and non-public schools provides numerous long-term benefits. Beyond the initial safety enhancements, security films also contribute to a better learning environment, increased property value and energy savings. They are a smart investment of the grant funds, as they offer continuous protection without significant ongoing costs.
Looking To Install Security Films? Call Us Today!
Security films are a practical solution for enhancing the safety and security of schools, both public and private. These films not only protect against intruders but also reduce the risks associated with natural disasters and outside threats. They provide a cost-effective means of achieving enhanced security, and when combined with grant opportunities, they become accessible to schools.
As the Safe Schools Act continues to guide school safety efforts in Tennessee, security films stand out as a proactive measure to address a range of security concerns. By applying these films, schools can provide a safer, more secure learning environment, reinforcing their commitment to the well-being of their students and faculty. With the support of grant programs, schools can take significant steps toward achieving this goal, ensuring that education takes place in an environment that is not only academically enriching but also safe and secure.
Here at Tennessee Film Solutions, our safety and security films meet many certifications and test standards used in real-world situations. We have also done our own research (See Video Below) to see which products withstand everyday occurrences; whether it is a brick, crowbar, or a tree branch through your windows – we know what will protect you and your school and give you the level of protection you deserve. Call us today to get started!